National Cup Group 12 Final: Loughborough Town vs 1st XI

Kibworth are again Leicestershire’s last representatives in the national club championship.

The 2004 and 2008 champions edged into the fourth round of this year’s competition with an exciting last-ball victory at Loughborough Town.

This was the second clash between the teams at Park Road in 24 hours.

Loughborough won the Everards League game on Saturday by seven wickets, but Kibworth gained revenge in dramatic style.

Loughborough needed six to win off the final ball, but there was an unusual twist in the tale.

Mitchell Buck was facing Kibworth opening bowler Tom Driver.

He aimed a big drive and the ball flew high into the air.

Ram Ghuman waited at extra cover for the ball to drop while Buck and Kelvin Locke started running between the wickets. It was already apparent that this was not going to be the end of the drama because Driver had overstepped the crease and delivered a no-ball.

Ghuman completed the catch and, with one run already completed, then ran out Buck.

That left Locke on strike with four needed and, this time, Driver sent down a delivery into the crease.

Locke got a bat on it but was able to score only a single, leaving Kibworth winners by three runs.

Kibworth had been put in to bat and raced to 40-0 in five overs with Ghuman hitting 29.

They slipped to 83-4 before skipper Andy Smith (41) and Ross Clarke (30) shared a vital stand of 76.

Kibworth eventually reached 191-8 in their 45 overs.

Ollie Freckingham, Neil Gamble and Rahoul Sharma all took two wickets but Loughborough delivered a costly 32 wides.

Anish Patel (58) and Chad Yates (41) put on 90 for Loughborough’s second wicket and, at 104-1, they looked in charge.

But left-arm spinner Russell Spiers caught Yates off his own bowling and took 2-27 off his nine overs, putting Loughborough behind the clock.

Buck’s 47 kept them in the hunt and they needed 14 off the last two overs with five wickets left.

Aamir Mahmood gave Kibworth a massive boost by conceding only four runs in the penultimate over, making the target 10 off the final six deliveries.

Driver sent down three dot balls before Buck scored two twos, setting up the thrilling finale.

by Kcc@dm1N | This entry was published in First, Results, Senior, Team News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply