Cold weekend brings no cheer for First team

After a very encouraging pre-season, KCC first team came down to earth with a bump this weekend. Chilly weather meant that handwarmer salesmen could have made a fortune as Kibworth fell to defeats by Market Harborough in the league and then followed up with an agonising two run defeat in the National cup the next day.

What will chill the mood for Matt Craven’s team even more than the cutting wind is the knowledge that they should probably have won both games. A five wicket haul from opening bowler Tom Driver meant that Harborough could only total 144 in Saturdays league game and left Kibworth 55 overs to knock off the runs. However the visitors could only make 117 in reply as they lost a succession of batsmen to poor shot selection in the face of determined Harborough bowling.

Cambridge Granta put together 244-8 after being put in to bat in Sundays National Cup first round game with Charles Page-Morris claiming three wickets. In reply skipper Craven was third out for a top score of 59 and Aadil Ali also made a half century. Wickets fell at regular intervals, however, a terrific partnership between Tom Driver and Dan Broughton meant that we went into the last over with 14 needed. A huge 6 from Broughts bought the freezing balcony crowd to their feet and with 5 more, plus a run out from the next 4 balls we were left needing a boundary from the last ball. Unfortunately the Cambridge bowler kept his nerve, conceding a single bye and we were beaten by 2 runs in a fantastic game.

Our other 3 teams fared better over the weekend with a winning draw for the 2’s…featuring a first KCC 50 for new recruit (and Forest fan!) Sam Johnson, and good 40’s for Pedro and Fido in a good score of 241/7.  In spite of a bright start by the openers Barkby were hanging on at 180/9 at the end as we claimed 19 points from a winning draw.
The 3rd’s travelled to old rivals Kempston having toyed with a Friday night stay over to ensure timely arrival for the match.  Kempston were restricted to 217, which was satisfactory according to captain Greenhalgh.  Very good spells from a fit again Tom Bailey and Jai Singh were the highlights in the field.  Luke Spence scored 72 at the top of the innings and was well backed up by FK and Henry Simpson, returning to Saturday cricket with “a chance less 72″…..Loz Joel joined FK at the crease and the “experienced” butcher sealed victory with a 6 to secure an emphatic 8 wicket win.

The 4’s maintained their unbeaten run which stretches back almost a season and a half now by beating Electricity Sports 2’s in their first game in Division 7.  A terrific bowling performance saw the visitors dismissed for 118 in 38 overs.  The guile of Ben Lodge and the fiery pace of brother Olly were the pick of the attack with both taking 3 wickets.  Backed up by some superb fielding we went to tea in buoyant mood.
After a few nervous moments we secured victory with 15 overs to spare and were steered home by MVP Olly Lodge who added an unbeaten 28 to his 3 wickets and a run out for a fabulous performance…he then capped his day off by going to field for the 2’s when Chilli got too cold!
A great start to the season and a maximum 24 point haul.

by Kcc@dm1N | This entry was published in First, Results, Senior, Team News. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

WordPress spam blocked by CleanTalk.