Cup joy and despair for U13’s and U17’s

There was a double header of junior cup action on Sunday, with the Under 17’s facing Loughborough Town in the County Cup Final, whilst the U13A side were drawn away to CCA in another semi final this season.
CCA won the toss and elected to bat. After an early wicket from Jack Bellamy CCA pushed along at around 5 an over. However, the introduction of left arm spin from Rajiv Sejpal and the pace of Harry Pounds from the other end dried up the run rate and resulted in a wicket each. Rajiv finished his 4 overs with 1 for 15 and Harry 4 overs 1 for 14. Mahang also bowled economically at the end finishing with 4 overs 1 for13.
So set a target of 90 to win Kibworth made hard work of the chase. Ben O’Boyle was bowled for 2 and Mahang went for 8. Jack Houlihan and Josh Moore struggled to find their normal fluecy and after 10 overs we were 33 for 2. Josh departed for 9 and Jack was dropped twice!  As Harry Pounds strode to the wicket Jack started to find some timing and started hitting the ball around before taking the mandatory retirement at 30. Harry who had 7 singles to that point hit two consective fours to relieve the pressure. Rajiv sealed the victory with a boundary via a cut to fine leg.
In the end the game was finished in the 18th over and looked comfortable but that was far from the case. The final  will be next Sunday the 8th September against Loughborough Town. The game is away with a 10am start.
Meanwhile in the Under 17’s “home” match at Langtons Oliver Lodge claimed a first over wicket to raise hopes of restricting Loughborough to a small total.  Unfortunately, batsmen 2 and 3 went on to both record half centuries as a daunting looking target of 138 was set off their 20 overs.
In response a bright start from Henry Simpson and Calum Wordsworth came to a premature end when both perished in the same over.  Laurence Joel played aggressively and rode his luck, being dropped 3 times as he looked to get the innings back on track.  Just as things started to look like they were swinging our way Loz got out to a full toss, and he was soon followed by Jon Butler as the innings threatened to implode.
However, a good partnership developed between Harrison Norton and Kieren Wordsworth and we remained in touch.  Unfortunately when Kieren departed we were up against it, and in spite of the Lodge twins batting aggressively we were left needing 6 off the last ball to secure victory.  Unfortunately, a full length off side delivery denied Harrison the chance to target the short leg side boundary and the game was gone.
A sad end to a fine season for the Under 17’s and not the way that they would have wanted to sign off PJ’s coaching stint but they can be proud of their achievements this season and will be better for the experience.

by Kcc@dm1N | This entry was published in Junior, Results, Team News, Under 17. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

WordPress spam blocked by CleanTalk.