3rd Team V Market Harborough 2nd XI

KCC 3rd XI travelled to local rivals Market Harborough for the last game of the 2015 season. Talisman and captain Boosh was “at vedding” so Greeno took the wheel with 30 points and a slip up by Leicester Caribbeans the only chance of promotion. With Boosh, Blodge and The Hooligan all unavailable Cheddar Wordsworth, Mick The Wire Botherer and boat shoes Sejpal were all recalled to a side that looked strong in all departments. As good blokes assembled for an early morning team breakfast talk was of the team an already relegated Harborough would put out and on arrival at the ground it looked suspiciously like the first team captain Joe Gordon would be on of Harborough’s ten man assembly. Greeno contacted Craven to see if he fancied a game but he was too busy winning the premier league to bother making the journey over.

With old friend Ian Simpson playing for Harbs and preparing their ground the afternoon started with catch ups and handshakes before business was attended to. Losing the toss KCC were asked to bat first and Greeno used the opportunity to again showcase the young talent at KCC. Pairing the Wordsworths together they both set about the bowling attack with gusto accelerating the score to 40 without a wicket lost. A moment of madness from Kieran saw him miss a straight one and out strode Harrison. Cheddar began to find the rope with regularity and Harrison took his gutsy performance from last week a stage further by crashing the ball into space left by a depleted Harborough. Putting on a hundred for the next wicket Cheddar moved past 50 before top edging spinner Rob Collins and receiving advice regarding the style in which he should now leave the field. With Mayor of Harborough Broughts always keen on a battle he joined Harrison and the lofty left handers carried on the good work. Broughts played carefully against Wily Wilson but when he was set he let the big shots flow. Both he and Harry moved past 50 and with 10 overs to go we were closing in on maximum batting points. Considering an early declaration both pushed on and were unlucky to be caught by sharp chances. Two new men at the crease and the accurate experience of Ian Simpson saw Greeno and Poundsy dismissed quickly but as Wilko saw us past 240 tea was taken at 42 overs giving KCC 48 overs in which to take the 9 wickets needed for victory.

Stampy and Messo took the new ball with a strong cross breeze beginning to effect conditions. Stampy hit his usual lines with good pace and had early reward bowling Harborough’s opener and hitting toes for another LBW. Messo couldn’t find his usual metronome and initially went unrewarded but a change of end saw him and FK work brilliantly together as first a sharp stumping then a nick behind were both taken beautifully. Four wickets down inside the first 10 overs and with 38 overs to withstand Joe Gordon came to the crease shortly followed by Ian Simpson. Both looked resolute in defence and determined not to give anything up easily. Changes were made and Wire Botherer was unlucky to have an LBW turned down. Rajiv then came into the attack and toiled away eventually receiving reward as Simmo got bored of blocking and went on the offensive before nicking Rajiv to Wilko at slip. With Gordon still building a Lego factory Greeno threw all he could at him but when a sharp chance off Broughts was dropped at point it looked like it wasn’t to be our day. Joe remained patient until 5 overs to go when he realised that 20 runs in 33 overs was not something to be proud of and he scored freely in the last 5 overs to finish 46*. Harborough closed on 120 for 5 in 48 overs and KCC took 17 points back to the home of cricket.

Despite not achieving promotion this year KCC 3rd XI remain the highest finishing third team in Leicestershire and more importantly have played some great cricket with contributions all around. The Hooligan, Rajiv, Ed Glass Wall and Harry Pounds have all made big leaps forward and will no doubt turn into serious players for a future that looks bright both for them and KCC. Boosh was unable to be there for the last game but spoke to the players to tell them how proud he was to call them his team and his friends. Well done to all this year

Signing off until 2016 – Greeno. x

by Kcc@dm1N | This entry was published in Results, Senior, Team News, Third. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

WordPress spam blocked by CleanTalk.